Hands On Alphabet

Monday, September 15, 2014
One of my goals this year has been to try to eliminate worksheets. One area it just seems unavoidable is in meeting the Common Core standard L.K.1a: Printing Letters. Here's how I've been doing it.

1. We get together in the circle area and say the letter formation poem, that I get from this great website. We do this while drawing the letter in the air with our fingers.

2. I model how to make the letter with a novel manipulative. Then they try.

3. Finally, they work on their letter either on a whiteboard or on a workpage. Manipulating the letter before writing it seems to make a huge difference!






We've started doing the same with sight words as well. Below, the kids are working on THE with playdough and LITTLE with shaving cream.



And if you'd like a complete list of the manipulatives I use, and the work pages I've created, go to my TpT page, where I have the entire unit posted:

Teachers Pay Teachers

No comments